Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Pleasant Company changes its name

  1. #1
    Inactive Member anonymouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2003
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


  2. #2
    Inactive Member annkirstin's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, I think it is too bad also!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Peachysweetdream's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2002
    Posts
    389
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [img]eek.gif[/img]
    No more PC?? I mean, I suppose everyone calls it AG anyway, but PC was one of the things that really tied all the recent changes back to the old company of the 80s/early90s- the company many of us started loving.

    Thanks much for the link!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member EmilyStrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Aww, I feel pretty sad about no more PC!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member anonymouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2003
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the Wisconsin State Journal didn't put the entire article up on the web.. this is an excerpt from the print article:
    Parks said the name change involves some legal restructuring but does not signal a change in the company's direction. She also said the change isn't a way to distance the company from Rowland, who sold the company to Mattel in 1998.
    "Pleasant was notified and is 100 percent in support of it," Parks said. "These are the same issues she was considering as president in 1996."

    <font color="#020176" size="1">[ January 11, 2004 02:37 PM: Message edited by: anonymouse ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member glittergirl08's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Aww, how sad! Now PC or should I say AG has to change their sign in front of the PC headcoarters. Good thing you took pics of it Tracy while it is still up. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member mom_to_an_americangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm. I am totally sad about this. It is, to me, like changing the name of Apple Computer to something else. I hate name changes- from a marketing perspective. However, I saw it coming. The name plate on the doll trunks says "american girl" and the catalog did change it's name as well.

    If they are distancing themself from Pleasant Rowland with the name change, I hope they do not plan to distance themselves further with the mission of the company and the product offering. I would hate to see the girls become oversize Barbies.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member anonymouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2003
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the catalogue name changed while Pleasant was still president, and the store was named "American Girl Place" under her as well. So I don't think it should be considered an attempt to distance themselves from Pleasant (note the excerpt above about Pleasant approving the change).
    It just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint to call the company "Pleasant Company" when everything it makes is American Girl.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member amsinstl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2002
    Posts
    51
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was kind of suprised to hear that the name is just now being changed -- I guess I thought they had "officially" changed it to American Girl a few years ago. As someone mentioned, the plates on the doll trunks say American Girl now, not Pleasant Company. I just realized that the other day while looking at Kirsten's trunk, which I bought in 1998.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So I guess that there will be no more "Pleasant Company" on the back of the necks of the dolls. I wonder how soon that will start showing up. At least then, if quality starts to drop, we will have a more specific mark to look for, as in "pre-American Girl". [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Joy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •